Flat Abs Pilates Workout
You’ve undoubtedly heard about the benefits of Pilates. Or at the very least, you’ve heard claims about the benefits.
If you’re still on the fence about trying this relatively new form of exercise, you should definitely give it a try. Although Pilates appears easy and simple on the surface, its subtle exercises are actually extremely effective for toning and shaping your body – especially your core muscles and abs!
In this article, I’m offering up a complete Pilates workout for getting flat, toned abs. All you need is a Pilates ball or small fitness ball, like the ones included in this great Altus Body Ball Fitness Combo. This package is really a great deal so be sure to check it out!
Let’s get to the workout…
Flat Abs Pilates Workout – In Just 5 Moves!
As you move through these exercises, keep in mind that Pilates is all about slow, controlled movements, Make sure you engage your abs and core muscles throughout, and hold each pose as long as possible. 15 or more reps per set should do it.
1. Rollover – Lie on the floor, face-up and hands down at sides. Starting with your legs extended straight towards the ceiling, slowly lift your hips off the floor and extend your legs behind your head, as far as possible. Keep your shoulder and neck relaxed and hold here before slowly reversing.
2. Ball Footwork – Lie on the floor, face-up and arms at sides. Bend your knees and rest the balls of your feet on your fitness ball. Your heels should be touching and toes pointing slightly out to the sides. As you engage your abs and core, lift your hips just slightly off the floor as you roll the ball away from you. When your heels are resting on the ball, hold, and reverse slowly.
3. Roll-Up – Sit on the floor with your legs straight in front of you, feet pointing towards the ceiling and heels together. Hold your fitness ball in front of you at shoulder height, arms straight. Keeping your back as straight as possible, slowly roll back until you back is on the floor, engaging your abs and core throughout. When you reach the floor, your fitness ball should be directly above your neck or head. Now reverse slowly, returning your back and ball to starting position.
4. Side Plank Crunch – Holding your left palm on the floor, extend your legs straight and outward, creating a straight line with your entire body. Your right foot should be resting on your left foot. Extend your right arm to the ceiling. From this position, engage your obliques and core muscles and raise your right hip to the ceiling. Hold here, and lower before repeating. Make sure you get both sides.
5. Ball Coordination – Start by lying on the ground, face-up with your hips and knees bent at 90 degrees. Hold your fitness ball over your chest with both hands. From this position, bend your elbows and slowly lower the ball to your chest. Engage your abs, and then extend your arms out in front of you as you also lift your head, curl your shoulders, and straighten your legs outward in front of you. Hold here for a moment, and slowly reverse.
Flat Abs Pilates Workout – Conclusion
There you have it – a simple workout routine that will get your abs and core in amazing shape! These Latex Stretch Bands are another great piece of Pilates equipment that will help maximize many of your Pilates stretches and movements.
As you can see, Pilates borrows some of its techniques and poses from yoga. If you’re interested in trying yoga but want to avoid the classes, check out this Gaiam Yoga for Beginners Kit.
Have any questions or feedback about this Flat Abs Pilates Workout? Please leave a comment below…
The post Flat Abs Pilates Workout appeared first on Weight Loss & Training.