When youre trying to lose weight and stay healthy, you need all the tools you can find at your disposal.
If you follow my blog on a regular basis, then you know Im a big supporter of a natural, whole foods diet. This is why Im also such a big fan of super foods food options that are natural, unprocessed, and especially high in powerful nutritional content.
And astragalus might just be your next great find according to Dr.Oz.This super food is packed full of amazing vitamins and nutrients to support a healthy lifestyle. This article reviews the amazing benefits of astragalus extract and gives you insight into deciding whether it is right for you.
What is Astragalus?
Astragalus is an herb commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine. Most of the beneficial compounds found in astragalus are actually contained in the root, which is the source of most astragalus extract supplements on the market. The plant is found naturally in parts of China and Mongolia.
What are the Benefits of Astragalus Extract?
A number of benefits of astragalus have been reported, but its primary benefit is in the area of immune system support. Traditional Chinese medicine has been using it for this purpose for hundreds of years, and people all over the world continue to report significant benefits.
In particular, astragalus contains unique polysaccharides (chains of carbohydrate molecules) that are thought to improve immune functioning. These, combined with other unique nutritional properties, have been reported to positively influence physical health and bodily functions.
Although research is somewhat lacking, studies have suggested the following additional benefits of taking astragalus extract on a daily basis:
- Treatment of chronic anemia.
- Immune boosting effects in cancer and tumor patients.
- Suppression of genital herpes outbreaks.
- Protective effects for those suffering from heart disease.
- Treatment of congestive heart failure.
- Treatment of kidney disease.
- Enhanced recovery from stroke.
Astragalus can be used on a daily basis to support daily immune functioning, or during a cold or flu in order to minimize the severity and duration of symptoms.
There are quite a few astragalus supplements available on the market, but I recommend trying NOW Astragalus. Given their high standards for quality and consistency, NOW is one of my top picks for supplements like this.
Other Great Super Foods
If you’ve missed some of my previous reviews, make sure you check out these other amazing super foods as they are all making waves in the health industry and you will see these everywhere right now. Each has it’s own benefits but you can decide for yourself based on your goals what may be more beneficial for you at this time:
- Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil is a great addition to your cooking. Its unique fats will actually give your metabolism a boost!
- Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds can be added to yogurt, cereal, or salads, and are packed full of protein and fiber!
- NOW Spirulina Powder is one of the most popular super foods on the market. This one is high in protein, healthy fatty acids, and tons of vitamins and minerals.
- VPX Coco Fit Coconut Water is one of the best (and healthiest) options for staying hydrated during your workouts.
- NOW Green Tea Extract is a natural option if you’re looking to rev up your metabolism and burn some extra pounds!
Have any questions or feedback about astragalus or any other super foods? Please leave a comment below…
The post Astragalus appeared first on Weight Loss & Training.